Live Streaming on Periscope
When it comes to broadcasting or live streaming you have got options. While this isn’t going to be a complete how-to, it will give you something to consider for going live on Periscope. The streaming platforms continue to evolve and each has their own unique benefits and drawbacks. It seems like the original players in the space are constantly introducing new features and new apps pop up in the app store almost daily.
If you know anything about me, SoapLadyZ got it’s start on Periscope. I started live streaming on this platform with absolutely no following when live streaming wasn’t as popular as it is today. Now I have over 7,000 followers and over 12 million hearts. Periscope was one of the first main stream platforms that allowed anyone to Go Live. The only requirements were a cell phone with a stable internet connection. With the click of a button you could broadcast to the world unfiltered.
What is Periscope?
Periscope is a mobile Live Streaming Platform that is perfect for people to get discovered on social media. It is connected to twitter so when you go live on the platform you can simultaneously broadcast live to Twitter. As of the writing of this article periscope is the only platform that doesn’t filter who can see your content based on number of followers or previous interactions with you. When comparing Periscope to YouTube and Facebook, Periscope is hands down the best place to be found if you are new on the social media scene with something to share with the world.
Some of the primary benefits include:
Strong sense of community
Ease of Use
No fancy equipment required
Who Does Well on Periscope?
Creatives, Cooks, Musicians and motivational speakers are very popular on Periscope.
- Make handmade products? Viewers will tune in to watch.
- Know your way around the kitchen? People will tune in for your recipes.
- Have musical talent? A whole tribe of supportive fans are on Periscope.
- Do you have positive messages you want to share with the world? #Inspire is one of the most popular hashtags on the platform.
- Have tips and tricks for how people can make money online? You will definitely find an audience.
The one thing that separates those that are successful from those who aren’t is authenticity and consistency. Live Streaming is not like other forms of social media, people come to know you and your brand very quickly. If you are being disingenuous it will show and your audience will tune out. Aside from turning off your audience, do you really want to fake it every time you go live? The other critical piece of success is attributed to your consistency. Your audience will come to expect you based on the schedule you set. That can be daily, weekly or monthly. Whatever it is stick to it.
How to Get Started
- Install the periscope.tv app from the Google Play Store or iTunes
- Create an account or link it to your existing Twitter account
- Enter a short bio about yourself
- Upload a profile picture
- Get involved in the community by watching and sharing interesting broadcasts
- Go Live when you are ready
Periscope seems to be the social media underdog when compared to other platforms like YouTube and Facebook but there is something special about an underdog.
Until next time.